"The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit,
the greater your capacity to create."

~Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Singles Conference


This weekend, I attended a church-sponsored Singles Conference up in the Denver area. When I first heard about the event, I wrote out a check for my pre-registration and mailed it in before I could talk myself out of going. I rarely attend the singles activities here because, well, I never meet anyone that I connect with... I'm not just talking about men, but women too. I feel so disconnected from the others - there aren't many people close to me in age and no one that I have found anything in common with (besides being single, of course). The really ironic thing about all this is that, in San Diego, I was the Stake Single Adult Representative for five years and was responsible for organizing the entire program, meetings, activities, newsletter, etc. As such, I understand the challenges with getting the support and attendance necessary to make everything a success.

So, anyway, I drove the hour-long trip up on Friday night to attend the temple with some other singles. Then, afterward, we met up with some other singles for board games and refreshments. On Saturday morning, I had to get up extra early to get ready in time to drive back up to Denver for the day. We had a short opening meeting (for which I was asked to give the invocation - opening prayer - on the spur of the moment), followed by several really good workshops, lunch, and then off to the temple again - this time to do service work on the grounds. Some of us did mulching, weeding, and planting; others, myself included, repainted some of the iron fencing around the perimeter of the grounds. I wasn't dressed for painting and, despite all cautions, managed to get it on both of my blouses AND the only pair of jeans I own that still fit decently. So, if anyone has a good idea for getting paint out of clothing, please let me know! After working at the temple, we were supposed to play lawn games but the rain had other ideas so we moved everything inside for more board games, followed by dinner, and a dance.

All in all, it was a fun yet busy weekend. I had an enjoyable time and met some nice people (but not my eternal companion). Apparently, I didn't drink enough water during the day and, especially after working outdoors, found myself quite tired and dehydrated this morning. I'm feeling better this evening but am not thrilled that the weekend is almost over and I have to go back to work in the morning. There's just never enough time, is there?

4 comments:

TattingChic said...

It sounds like a nice weekend! You are braver than I going to those single's conferences, LOL!

Brenda said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Good for you for going. Do you know there has been 4 weddings in our Branch in the last 2 months, with another one coming up in 3 weeks time (my sister!). Three of the couples are mature age, the other two couples in early 20's. I had to make all the invitations for my sister's wedding - she asked me at HFPE on the Tuesday night and I needed to have them done by the Saturday so they could hand them out on the Sunday, hmmmm. Thank goodness for computers! You just never know when you might meet someone - I don't think my sister ever thought it would happen to her and the man she is marrying is 59 and never been married!

Kim said...

I just killed my single new pair of capris with paint too. I pick it off with my nail every once in a while , but they're still dead lol.
And later , I gave you an award on my blog...

Pretty Things said...

I'm glad you decided to go! You just never know what things await around the corner.