"The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit,
the greater your capacity to create."

~Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Soul Journaling

One of my new year resolutions was to start a personal art journal this year. The problem was that I didn't have any idea where to start. One of my dear art friends told me about Sarah Whitmire's Soul Journaling prompts and so I have decided to jump right in! I know I won't be able to follow along daily but will try to work on this project as regularly as I can.

The first two spread are my take on Sarah's first prompt - to cover my pages with text, then pick out words that describe how I am feeling, circle them, and write down some of my thoughts:

The next step was to get out the gesso and cover up all of my words, taking time to contemplate on them as I painted them out. Secondly, I needed to "claim" my book by putting my name all over the first page...
Finally, I needed to create my "soul armor" and decorate it using words that describe how I can protect my creative spirit. Those of you who know me know I love asian things so I just had to use this samurai on my page... I decorated the background with a piece of gold-printed joss paper and some kanji rub-ons. I will probably go back and add more detail to my armor but this is what I've gotten done so far.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I love how your soul journaling is turning out. I belong to that group too but as yet haven't even started the prompts, so you are one ahead of me, LOL.

Terri said...

Beckie what a great start you have made with your journal. Thanks for sharing.
I hope you do find some one who will cherrish you.

"Stampgram" said...

I love it! Your armor is awesome. Good going, girl!

Sarah Whitmire said...

Hi Beckie,
Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog. Fantastic pages! Wow, I just LOVE your unique choice of armor and your red and black color choices, very powerful and passionate. Please be sure and post a link in our Soul Journaling group so everyone can see your awesome work. :D

*SOUL HUGS*

Sarah