"The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit,
the greater your capacity to create."

~Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Barn Swallows


It is Spring here in Colorado and the birds have arrived! They're up very early every morning, singing their songs and making sure no one oversleeps. They tend to congregate on my patio, shuffling and fighting over the best spot on the ledge over my sliding glass door. Needless to say, the subsequent mess on the concrete below is a pain to clean up!

I have been contemplating what to do to keep them from assembling there... until today. It seems that a pair has taken over the space and chased off all the other interlopers. I believe they are barn swallows - very colorful with bright red (male) and bright yellowish-orange (female) bellies with black wings and long split tails... they're really quite beautiful. I hope they honor me with a nest of chicks to make up for the inevitable mess they'll leave behind.

They're very LOUD! If you want to hear what they sound like, I found a clip here:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barn_Swallow/sounds

2 comments:

TattingChic said...

I'll take your word for it that they are loud. I guess I'm lucky. I have a birdfeeder on my patio and I get quiet chirpy little tiny birds like finches throughout the day! They haven't told any other kinds of bird friends, though! THey have pretty much kept it to themselves, LOL! I am not complaining!

Kim said...

I've listened to the sound , and I think that's why all the other birds left lol. Even so , I really enjoy hearing the birds - you have to be up very early around here to do that , then they take off again to who knows where :)