"The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit,
the greater your capacity to create."

~Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Learning ASL


Tonight I attended my first American Sign Language (ASL) class. Our church is offering a free basic beginners course which will be held every Thursday evening. I am very excited about this as I have always wanted to learn ASL.

Tonight was a basic introduction... we learned to finger-spell the alphabet and numbers 1 through 19, as well as personal pronouns, and basic sentence structure. I went online this evening and ordered our course guide from a seller on Amazon - I hope it gets here quick!

Our instructor is deaf and, although his wife interpreted for him this evening, he informed us that he will not have an interpreter in the future. That seemed a little daunting at first but I know that is how they teach foreign languages to the missionaries in the MTC (Missionary Training Center) - by immersion - and it is obviously quite effective... we'll see =) My biggest challenge will be not having anyone to practice with outside of the class. My fingers feel oddly stiff but I'm sure they'll loosen up with continued practice.

1 comment:

Pretty Things said...

I would love to learn this because I have a friend I see in the coffee shop I'd like to converse with without the aid of pencil and paper.

One thing that I didn't realize, however, is that I need to practice in front of a mirror, because when I see HIS words, they're the mirror opposite of what I see in the book!