"The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit,
the greater your capacity to create."

~Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Altered Rusted Tin

Over at Paper Traders, Cathy hosted an altered rusted tin swap inspired by her recent tutorial on various rusting techniques.  I used my own variation of these to rust my tin...

First, I sanded ALL of the paint off of my Altoids tin lid, then sprayed it down with straight vinegar and let it dry in the sun (I did this about 3 times on each side)... it was already starting to rust with just the vinegar.

Then (wearing rubber gloves and a face mask, just in case), I mixed 4oz of 3% hydrogen peroxide with 2oz of the vinegar and about 1 tsp of salt, stirring carefully to dissolve completely; then I carefully poured it into my spray bottle. I sprayed the tin and left outside to dry, turning and repeating about 3 times on each side... I got lots of rust coating the entire tin. In the areas where the solution pooled because I sprayed a little too much, it took longer to dry but turned out really textured and dark in those spots.

Finally, I sprayed the whole thing with a coat of matte acrylic sealer and let it dry before creating my collage.

I have been wanting to try this for so long and am surprised at how quick and easy it was to do!

3 comments:

chrissies said...

It looks amazing and thank you for explaining how to do the rusting

Love Chrissie xx

Elisabet said...

thanks for sharing the details!
i've wanted to try this as well!
hugs,
beth p

Cathy L. Calamas said...

It looks wonderful, Beckie. You really got a nice amount of rust on it. Plus I love owls!! Thanks for joining the Challenge