Occasionally things don't always turn out in my studio. This week's epic Fail came while working on my Found Poetry canvas for an upcoming swap at Paper Traders.
I have seen this technique gaining popularity and was anxious to try it myself. I had read online that another artist used MasquePen to block out her words so she could paint over the rest of the page and then remove the masque when she was done. Sounded perfect!
The paper I was using was quite old so I tested the MasquePen in several methods: straight paper, over clear gesso, over clear acrylic sealant, and over clear gesso covered with clear sealant. The last seemed to work wonderfully so I prepped my pages and went to work.
Below is what happened to me when I tried to remove the masque... Two section of masque pulled the paper right off the page and my words with it. So sad!
I decided I will salvage this piece by reprinting my poem and gluing new words over the top. But will have to start from scratch on a new piece for this particular swap. Live and learn. (For my next piece, I'm going to try using Post-It Notes to cover my words... I'll let you know how it turns out.)
Haunted forever by
which is not to be