"The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit,
the greater your capacity to create."

~Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Friday, August 29, 2008

A Friend is a Gift from God

I made this little door hanger for a dear friend's birthday. She has had some struggles lately and I wanted her to have something special that would make her feel blessed by God's hand. I didn't post it earlier because I wanted it to be a surprise but now that she has it, you can see it too!

I made this from a cork-backed coaster. I sanded down the cover paper, applied gesso, then peach acrylic, followed by a few dabs of green; when it was all dry, I sanded and distressed the painted background.

Next, I layered some gold-printed mulberry paper (pre-purchased). I tore around the edges of the music page and used Tim Holtz' Distress inks on it and layered it over the mulberry paper.

The little dancing girls are victorian scrap that I purchased from our local Michael's store. If you're only shopping in the scrapbook section, you're missing out on lots of great stuff... you can find these in the decoupage papers near the unpainted wood. I chose these girls for two reasons - 1) they look like my friend and I (I'm the brunette & she's the strawberry blonde) and 2) she loves pink and green! The lens was an RAK from an online swapper - I don't know where she got these things but I think they're so cool!

Lastly, I printed out and trimmed the words, then used my gold leafing pen around the edges. After gluing them down, I attached the metal roses which are a dollar store find. I like to check out the jewelry there and take it all apart for the cool beads =) Finally, I stapled a beaded wire to the back to hang it from... voila!

No comments: