"The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit,
the greater your capacity to create."

~Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Thursday, April 15, 2010

In the Spirit of Crayola

Liz is hosting a token/charm swap in our Paper Traders group.  Her theme is the 16 colors that come in a box of Crayola crayons: red, red-orange, orange, yellow-orange, yellow, yellow-green, green, blue-green, blue, blue-violet, violet, red-violet, carnation pink, brown, white, and black.

I gave mine a common theme by using various asian papers for each one.  I got the idea from vintagepix' button charms that I saw on Flickr.  It took a little trial and error but I finally figured out the secret for doing these without too much mess...

I adhered the paper behind the clear buttons (which I got from Stampin'Up!) using crystal lacquer (diamond glaze, papier glass finish, etc.) but I had trouble with it oozing out through the buttonholes when I pressed them together.  My solution was to cut the ends off of some cheap cotton swabs that had plastic stems (like tiny straws) - they fit perfectly in the holes and the excess glaze oozed up inside the straws instead of all over the front of the buttons... then I placed my finger over the top of the straw when I removed each one, creating a tiny vacuum that sucked out the excess goo!

All I need to do now to finish this project is to make a cute little storage/display box...

10 comments:

Lori said...

Beautiful! Gorgeous colors!

vintagepix said...

I love those - they turned out FAH-bulous! The purple ones with the delicate flower prints are particularly fine.

Aimeslee said...

Awesome take on the swap and theme. One of these days, I hope to be able to make stuff like this again! Until then, I'll live vicariously thru you. :-)) xoxo

Jenn at the Hatchery said...

They're gorgeous, Becca. And, I love your ingenuity with preventing the 'goo' filling the holes. Creative and Clever!

Pretty Things said...

Those are fantastic!

CathyH said...

Pretty!

Oxana said...

Very beautifull!!!

Tracy said...

These came out awesome!

MarissaDW said...

These are beautiful charms, I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Gina said...

Oh that's brilliant about the cotton swabs! The charms are new to me. will have to look into that further. Just revisiting from OWOH which seems so long ago now, but I'm enjoying the visit!